Friday, February 11, 2011

My Day

I often get asked what I do all day, being a stay at home mom. I mean, really? Do people think I just sit around and chill out? My sweet friend, Angie, did a post like this today and it made me laugh so hard. We have similar days and know we will be fast buddies when we make the move to Texas. First, let me say that this is the best job in the entire world. I never want to work full time when my kiddos are little. It's just not me. If I had to, I would in a heartbeat but I love playing and staying home with my girl. 

So, without further ado, here is our day:

Lauren wakes up around 7am and I hear her screaming on the monitor. I refuse to get her. Us Rogers girls don't get up at a 7 something in the morning. Not.Happening. She goes back to sleep until 8. Todd got her this morning. I go back to sleep until 9, thank goodness. I need sleep because Todd is never home. I also have a terrible psycho mind and living on a mountain doesnt help. The boogie man just has to be lurking in the woods. I don't know how single mamas do it. I about pass out with 1 kid - hence why we only have 1 at the moment.

I emerge from a deep fog at 9am to hear Lauren screaming in the den. She is ticked because Todd put her in time out. She is obsessed with changing out DVDs in our DVD player and she isn't allowed to because she's already scratched some movies. She was POed that she had to sit in time out. So I wake up to a screaming toddler, sweet.
***Waking up at 9am is late, I know. BUT I don't go sleep until like 2 or 3 am because I just can't sleep sometimes.***

I jump in the shower to get ready for a playdate at Pump it Up. I get cleaned up super quick, run upstairs to grab Lauren some clothes so we can leave by 10:15 for an 11:00 meet up with friends. It takes us 40 minutes to get anywhere so I try to be on time. It never happens. 

I throw the clothes at Todd. He dresses her and ever does her hair for me. I run back to the bathroom to blow dry my hair. No time for straightening. I scream to the kitchen for Todd to toast her a waffle, cut up an apple, and get her some peanut butter. This would be all me if he was out of town. I love his off days. They are rare but oh how I love it.

Lauren eats, pitches a fit because she needs her diaper changed. She is dressed and ready to go and claims she needs to go tee tee. So we undress her, sit her on the big girl potty, and she just sits there. Nothing. After 10 minutes, she says "All done." Ummm no kiddo, you didn't go potty. Diaper goes back on, clothes back on, and we leave 10 minutes late. Sweet.

We leave for Pump it Up. Lauren is actually quiet in the car. Surely something is wrong. Nope. She is watching Minnie Mouse on her DVD player. Fabulous.

We pull up to Pump it Up, see our 2 friends, and they all go off to play. I start chit chatting with my friends, Amber and Jill, and realize I can't find Lauren. Yes, my child freakin walked off. Seriously. She walked right over to the other play area IN A WHOLE OTHER ROOM. Thanks Lauren. I freak out, can't find her, start sweating, walk to a room next to the one we were in, to find her trying to climb the climbing wall by herself. Dear Lord help me. She is wild.


The kids play, Lauren begs me to go thru an obstacle course with her. I do. She gets mad because I try to tell her to go to the end of the course and not to walk to the front of it. Other kids were trying to play. She has to do it her way.


All 3 kids are almost to melt down mode. We leave. In the parking lot, I meet my friend Becky to pick up a surprise Valentines Day cake for Todd. Becky arrives. Lauren is entertained with a sugary breakfast bar. 15 minutes later, she is kicking and screaming at the car door. She then starts kicking her DVD player. After a stern chat, she stops but starts up 5 minutes later. I tell Becky bye and that I need some tylenol - for my now headache. 


I really really need to stop by Wal Mart to get some Chinese sauce for a Chinese Black Sauce that Im making tonight for our salmon dinner. Do I risk taking her to Wally World? Why of course because I really could care less what the other patrons think if Lauren starts going wild. I drag her in there. 2 seconds into the shopping trip, she finds a Valentines book that makes noise. Sweet. It'll buy me time if she reads it. 5 minutes later, she throws it on the ground and screams "DOWN I WALK NOW." I give in because Wal Mart is packed and I dont need to make a huge scene. I can't take the screaming. I give her a big hug, a pep talk, and say to stay close to mommy. FAIL. She runs into someone else's cart, screams at me, throws a food sample, and refuses to get back in the cart. Whatev. I have shopping to do. 

20 minutes later, we leave. She was an angel at the end of the trip. What gives? We get back to the car. I check on Todd's cake. It still looks great despite sitting in the direct sunlight. Awesome.

Get home. Lauren sees Todd and screams "My daddy, oh my daddy." Can I get an "Amen" that daddy was home? 

Got home around 3:30 from errands. No nap. Lauren desperately needs one. We go lay in mommy and daddy's bed with some Barney. She screams like crazy for a full 20 minutes. No napping. Go upstairs to try rocking. Goes nuts. Throws her sippy cup at the wall, bangs her head, and says "Allllll DONE." 

Todd sits with her on the couch. She is asleep in 2 minutes. Say whaaaat?


Im just sitting down to watch Gangland on Spike channel. These people are wack.

This is harder than any full time job but you couldn't pay me to go back to work. I love my spunky, feisty, loving, sweet, tantrum throwing girl, way more than selling drugs like the old days - prescription ones :)

Photobucket

5 comments:

Summer said...

LOL girl I can totally relate to this post and I got so tickled throughout it!! I did a post like this awhile back with a pic of Kelcee in midst of one of her tantrums! I am just like you I have always planned on being a SAHM and it is defintely the hardest job we will ever love!! I used to be a Paralegal and girl this rocks that LOL...I am sure it rocks the Drug Rep too....OMG I swear that Kelcee is like having triplets! I had to laugh at not being able to find Lauren for a second not because it was funny but because I have been their too, we were at a local kids museum with friends and we had 3 kiddos, my friend had Kelc and her little girl and I had my friends little boy and they were in this tree jungle gym, rope, swing bridge thingy and all of a sudden my friend says Sums I can't find Kelc she was right here I freak panic, sweat, holler for her, look and in just like a sec I here Im right here mommy LOL she had went into the treehouse and was hiding going out the other side with the other kids geezy peezy I thought I was gonna pee my pants LOL....so I feel ya on that one...oh and the tantrums whooo Kelcee can throw them at bedtime like no other!

Then at the end of the day when your hair is a mess, food all over ya, so tired you can't think, you kiss that precious face, lay down in exhaustion and thank your lucky stars that you can Stay home with them after all it is fun....hahahahah

Loved this post pretty girl
Sorry my comment was a book
Sums

Angie said...

Oh girl...bless your heart. There is nothing like a cranky kid in Walmart. Ughhh!

I had to give Hayden a talking to the other day b/c he was kicking his DVD player. We need new ones in the car, but I don't want him to ruin them.

Yes, move here, and close by so we can have some wine at night!!


Whew. I too love this job, but dang it is exhausting :)

Sarah said...

Super cute post Courtney! Love it, Lucy is a tantrum throwing mess too :)

Rachel and Hans said...

This is a GREAT post! You totally read my mind because I was seriously thinking about writing the same thing one of these days. It's amazing how many people ask what you DO all day long! Ha ha ha. You said it all! :)

Kristen and Andy said...

Oh how I can relate to this post - but like you I wouldn't trade it for the world! Its a dirty job, but I love it!

And the tantrums...I understand those too - and I am scared b/c I can already see my 11 month old testing his out too - afterall he is learning from a pro - his big sister...fun times!