Thursday, August 27, 2009

Lauren Medical Update



"Daddy, please take me to work!"

So I better update this blog for the couple of people that reads this :) I know the family will especially want to know what's going on. Back to the Pediatrician we went at 9:30am this morning. NOT FUN NOT FUN NOT FUN is basically how I/we felt about the experience. I LOVE our doctor and pediatrician but I can honestly say that I was dreading this appointment and what we would find out or what we would have to do.

We discussed what went on at the hospital and Lauren got weighed. She weighs a lousy 15 pounds still....seriously, eat child, eat!

It was decided that Lauren would need 5 tubes of blood drawn to check for inflammatory bowel disease. That was absolutely horrible, 100% horrible. I bawled like a baby as we had to pin her down and listen to her scream her little heart out. It ended up being too difficult to get the blood from her arm so they had to draw it all from her middle finger. Bless her heart.....I bet she was really wanting to show him her middle finger...HAHA

She screamed like any child would but it was like the screaming wouldn't stop. In reality, it wasn't too horribly long but it felt like an eternity. There's nothing like having to hold down your own child watching her in pain.

We also discussed her weight. While it's flattering that people think she's cute and small, she's too small. We looked at her growth chart and she's kind of hovered around the same weight. She has always been in the bottom percentiles but now she is just plain underweight. We were told that some kids eat 4 times as much as her. I feel like I try so hard to feed her constantly but what can you do when she turns her head and screams? It feels like a battle I can't win but we're trying......thank God for cheese. That tiny girl can down some cheese slices.

We go back next Thursday to discuss the results....stay tuned

13 comments:

The Cooleys said...

We are praying for little Lauren! Hope you get good news back from the tests.

Sorry to hear that she had to have blood drawn. Poor baby. Give her hugs and kisses from Ella.

Courtney said...

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Britni said...

Hi! I saw your comment about lack of weight gain on Kelly's blog and thought I would say hello. My baby girl is 10months old and we have THE HARDEST time getting her to eat. I don't blog too too much about it specifically though. Ava was born with other complications but right now this is her primary. I'll say a prayer for Lauren and feel free to talk to me on my blog if you're comfortable!

Unknown said...

Praying for baby and mommy! I wanted to cry just reading about what poor Lauren had to go through.

Mike, Kacy & Wells said...

Praying for good results & a plan that's easy for mom & Lauren :-)

Diana said...

Hi there, I saw your comment on Kelly's Korner and can relate to dealing with the hardship of being a mom of a child dealing with medical issues. I have two daughters who both struggle with very severe reflux/GERD and asthma. I will keep you little girl in my prayers as you walk through the process of finding out what is going on with her. We went through that came walk with our oldest and it was HARD! At least with my second we knew that we were dealing with the same issues and how to deal with them. Have you guys considered a pediatric GI specialist (I didn't read super far back). We wish that we had consulted one a lot sooner than we did.

Unknown said...

Oh poor baby!!! I can't imagine. It's hard enough watching them get shots.. but drawing all that blood?? Keep me posted!

Angie said...

Hi, I don't know you....at all. I saw a comment you left on Kelly's Korner about your child not eating. My daughter (19 months) is not an eater either, and I had to tell you...... I'M WITH YOU ON THIS! All your frustrations and the growth chart and the CONSTANT feedings....I'M LIVING THIS TOO!! Our doctors have told us to give up milk and give PediaSure instead--for extra calories. We've been to the endocrinologist... Sure you don't care about the whole story. Just wanted you to know there's someone else out here going through something similar! :) Angie

Todd and Courtney said...

thanks ladies :)

Kenna said...

Give Miss Lauren lots of hugs and kisses from us! We love you guys so much and want the little lady to get strong and healthy (she's already happy). Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything!!

The Blanton's said...

Poor thing! I can't believe they got all that from her middle finger!! Hope everything is ok!

Kristine said...

Poor you. I know all too well about eating issues. My little girl is 20 months old and only weighs about 19-20 lbs. I was in tears this morning because she hardly ate/drank anything. It is so very frustrating. I feel for you and hope it gets better soon!

Anonymous said...

Poor baby! I too am dealing with underweight issues with my daughter. She was born Oct 30th at 6# 4oz and has always been on the low end of the charts. I had planned on exclusivley nursing for 12 months but have had to supplement with formula and any kind of food she'll eat which isnt much or often. I have had too many people trying to talk me out of breastfeeding including her ped which I love other than that. What happene to breastfeeding being the best thing for them.? Anyway I wish you luck! It's nice to see I'm not the only one...