Saturday, November 1, 2008

Welcome to the World



























Details Edited on August 11, 2010 so I would never forget ALL the details.....

She is here! Lauren was born on Wednesday 10.29.08 at 8:25pm. She was 6 pounds and 6 ounces and was 19 inches long. Many have asked about the birth story so here it is:


I had a scheduled induction as we wanted Todd to be home and not in Canada as that is where he flying this month. My appointment was at 8am. We actually didn't arrive to the hospital until 8:30am. It must have been nerves because we weren't so anxious to get out the door. I remember telling Todd to hurry because I hate being late. We didn't eat any breakfast at home so we stopped at a Krystal to grab breakfast sandwiches. I guess it never occurred to me that our room could have been given to another patient at the hospital. We just wanted to eat as I knew I wouldn't be allowed to have food once I got to the hospital.

At arrival I was 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced. (same as doctor's visit the day before). At 9:30am, pitocin was started. I was completely fine and not hurting at this point. The nurses would come into my room to up the amount of pitocin constantly it seemed but I never did feel any contractions. I was beginning to think labor was going to be a walk in the park...little did I know.

My doctor broke my water at 1pm. What a strange feeling. It was definitely the "gush" you see in movies, except for the part of me laying down in a hospital bed. Contractions really picked up after that so I requested an epidural. I couldn't believe how strong the contractions would be after my water was broke. My doctor told me to get an epidural BEFORE he broke my water but the nurse at the hospital told me to wait because it could delay labor. I didn't really know what to do so I waited until my water was broken.

 Thanks to the epidural, it was smooth sailing after that until around 7:30pm. I was in so much pain and I knew Lauren was ready to come into the world. So we started the daunting task of pushing - so not what I expected. It was much more painful but worth every minute. In the movies, you always see doctor's and nurses telling the patient when to move. I KNEW when to move. I felt so much pressure that now I'm thinking my epidural wore off. I was in so much pain and could feel my sweet baby girl wanting to make her entrance.

After pushing for 45 minutes, my doctor was ready to bring our little sweet pea into the world. I was thankful I didn't have to push any longer than that. 45 minutes was considered to be pretty quick for a first time labor.

As a funny side note for Lauren to read when she gets older: I REALLY did not like any noise whatsoever in the labor room. The nurse was driving me nuts by cheering me on that I finally had to tell her to stop. I even told our wonderful doctor to please be quiet. The other nurses would let the door slam as they entered the room and it drove me nuts. When I'm in pain, I need the silence so I can focus on what I'm doing. The pushing experience felt so surreal and I had to focus to get the job done. Lesson learned, when we have baby #2, I will request a silent room ahead of time :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Congratulations! She is beautiful! :) Let me know when you make it back down to Charleston :)